home page
site map e-mail us about us Lawyers-BC home page
horizontal rule

Wills info. links:

Main page

About the law



Wills, Estates & Succession Act


Wills & Estates Lawyers

Vancouver BC
Florence Wong,, fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin and English at 1333 West Broadway, in Vancouver
中 文 普 通 话
廣 東 話 Retired 2019

Ferhad-Sean-Amiri, JD fluent in English, Persian/Farsi and Hindi - office in Metropolis at Metrotown mall across across fr. Superstore checkouts Ferhad Sean Amiri, JD fluent in English, Persian/Farsi and Hindi, office in Metropolis at Metrotown Mall across fr. Superstore

Brent McLean, lawyer in Metrotown Tower 2, Burnaby with over 40 years experience with wills and estates Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby, BC Metrotower office

Victoria BC
James Hutchison, experienced wealth management, estate management, wills lawyer
Wills, wealth management, & estate planning

Pat Bion, senior partner with McConnan Bion O'connor Peterson, law corp in Victoria - experienced in wills, estate planning click for more info

Michael O'Connor, QC, senior partner with McConnan Bion O'Connor Peterson, law corp. in Victoria, experienced with wills & estate planning and wills disputes/litigation/variation click for more info


Other areas

Reference links

Search the site

About Wills & Estates Law in B.C. Canada


Michael Mark, LLB experienced in wills disputes and litigation, lawyer in downtown Victoria, BC
Charlotte Salomon, BA JD, experienced wills & estates lawyer in downtown Victoria BC has assisted clients from around the world with probate  CLICK FOR PROFILE INFO

horizontal rule


In a will, you leave instructions on how to distribute all your property. It's your statement on who and what is important to you.  Proper planning also allows you to save on taxes and probate fees, and name guardians for your minor children.  Despite its importance, however, an alarming 49 per cent of Canadians do not have a will.

Without a will, your estate will be divided up in accordance with BC's Wills, Estates and Succession Act ("WESA" , new legislation in force in 2014) .  This may result not only in unintended beneficiaries, but also additional, unnecessary, tax burdens.

See also "What happens if I don't have a will?"

In planning a will, you need to decide who will be your executor, who will get what, and when will they get it. You may also need to think about choosing guardians, tax planning, and other considerations.

          Top of Page

horizontal rule

Executors and Guardians

An executor (male) or executrix (female) takes control of your estate after you pass away.  That person collects all your assets, pays off all your debts, files final tax returns, and then divides the estate according to your will. He or she is extremely important and must be chosen with care.

See also Probate Law on distributing an estate.

How should I choose an executor? If you have children under the age of 19, you should select one or more guardians.  Consider:
  • whether they are known to your children
  • special needs your children have;
  • whether your children will have to move very far
  • whether they have enough room for your children
  • whether all your children could be raised together
Many people choose their spouse as the first executor or guardian, plus an alternative if the spouse is unable to act.

Both executors and guardians bear heavy responsibilities. Before appointing them, you should get their consent.  While this is not legally required, it avoids the problems caused by their refusing to take on the job when needed.

          Top of Page

horizontal rule


You can name anyone you wish to be a beneficiary.  For individuals under the age of 19, the executor must hold on to that person's share until he or she turns 19, or meets other conditions set out in the will.

Common beneficiaries are:  spouses, children, and charities.


In many cases, your spouse is also the executor or executrix. If you do not provide adequately for your spouse, he or she could apply under the Wills Variation Act to vary the will when it's time to distribute the estate.


You may want to give your estate to your children in stages. Remember what you were like when you were 19? Some parents fear that their children won't be able to manage their inheritance.

That's why lawyers often recommend that a portion be released at the ages of 19, 21, and 25; or 21, 25, and 30.  This will depend upon the size of the estate, the age and maturity of the child, and other personal factors.

Until your child receives a full share of the estate, the executor can advance payment for his or her "maintenance, care and advancement in life." These payments, made to a guardian or the other parent, will ensure that the guardian is not burdened financially.

If not adequately provided for, children can also apply under the Wills Variation Act to amend the will.


You can also name charitable organizations in your will. These include religious or social-aid groups, like the Salvation Army; and research organizations, like the BC Cancer Research Agency. Many worthy groups benefit from the legacy of wills donations. Consult a lawyer about the tax benefits for your estate.

Take care to get the exact legal name, or at least enough information to clearly identify the organization.

          Top of Page

horizontal rule


There are two kinds of gifts:  monetary and specific assets.  For example, you may give your Honda Civic, a specific asset, to your nephew.

For monetary gifts, there are also two kinds: specific monetary gifts and a percentage of the net assets, or "residue." For example, you may give Jerry $10,000, a specific monetary amount. Or, you may give him a 5 per cent interest in the net assets of your estate. This is a percentage of the residue, or what's left after your debts have been paid.

Also, certain property is transferred directly, without forming part of your estate.

What property is not included under my will?

          Top of Page

horizontal rule

Preparing a will

Although you can prepare a will yourself, a lawyer can advise you on tax and other issues, and properly record your instructions. He or she can also give you a checklist of information you need to gather. See "The Benefits of a Professional Will" for details.

Regardless, two independent witnesses, who do not benefit under the will, must see you sign it.  Then they also have to sign.

Once signed and witnessed, the original will should be stored in a safe place: either in your safety deposit box, or with your lawyer (although many lawyers prefer to keep copies only).

After you write or amend your will, you or your lawyer should file a notice of its location with the Department of Vital Statistics. Do not send a copy of the will. This helps in locating a will after a person dies.           Top of Page

horizontal rule

Introduction to Estate Litigation - When there are disputes as to provisions / terms of a will

from Michael Mark, LLB - Wills / Estate Litigation Lawyer

Michael Mark, Victoria willls disputes & estate litigation lawyer

A child or spouse of a person who dies leaving a will can challenge the provisions of will and seek a variation pursuant to the Wills Variation Act.  The court will consider whether, in all of the circumstances, the deceased person (testator) made adequate provision for the claimant under the terms of the will.  The considerations a wide and varied, but they include the nature of the relationship between the testator and the claimant, the size of the estate, and the relative needs of the other beneficiaries to the will.

Claims must be made within 180 days from issuance of probate of the will.  Probate is the process in which the executor of the will probates or proves the will to the court.  If a child or a spouse is not satisfied that the will makes adequate provision for him or her, legal advice ought to be obtained promptly so that legal action, if warranted, may be commenced in a timely way.
(see also: copy of Wills, Estates and Succession Act, Part 4, Division 6 -- Variation of wills (new for 2014) online at www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ complete/statreg/ 09013_01#part4_division6 for the legislation involved with a dispute over a will).

Michael Mark, LLB - Estate Litigation / Wills Lawyer
McConnan Bion O'Connor Peterson Law Corp.
Suite #420 - 880 Douglas Street,
Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 2B7
Phone  250-385-1383   
Toll free  1-888-385-1383
E-mail:  mmark@mcbop.com  
Web Site:  McBOP.com
Profile:  Lawyers-BC profile

Vancouver Estate Litigation Lawyers

Mark G. Perry, with over 22 years experience in wills disputes and estate litigation, initially working with then for the Office of the Public Guardian as he worked on legilative changes to BC legislation - see profile for more information

Wills disputes & estate litigation and certified family mediator
Mark G. Perry
Web Site: www.perrylawbc.com
Westside Family Law
#420 - 1367 West Broadway
Vancouver, B.C.  V6H 4A7

Frank Bailey., expterienced with setting up wills and wills litigation  ie wills  variation /disputes

Wills disputes & estate litigation
Frank Baily
Baily McLean, barristers & solicitors, MetroTown Office
serving Burnaby and Vancouver for 40 years
Web site: www.bmgm.com

More questions?

Home | About Us | E-mail Us | Site Map | Legal Areas | What's New
Top of Page

see also  Directory of Wills & Estates Lawyers in Victoria, BC

Legal disclaimer:  The information provided on Lawyers-BC.Com is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. Your access to and use of this Web site is subject to additional terms and conditions.

This page last updated: August 17, 2007
© copyright 1999 Lawyers-BC.Com Services Ltd.